Instructions for Entering the 2018 IMPA Awards
Welcome to the Iowa Motion Picture Awards Entries Page and Instructions for the 27th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Awards, April 21st, 2018.
The Iowa Motion Picture Awards recognize outstanding creative and technical achievement in Iowa’s moving image production industry, in all its forms -- in twenty-two Program Categories and twenty-five Craft Categories.
Winners will be recognized at the Iowa Motion Picture Awards Gala Ceremony on Saturday, April 21st, 2018, at the historic, renovated Pella Opera House Theatre Center in Pella, Iowa. In each specific category, entries must meet the high criteria of industry judges for that skill set to receive the Award of Achievement. If the work was outstanding, it met the criteria to earn the highest Award of Excellence.
To be considered for an Iowa Motion Picture Award:
For each category you choose to enter:
(1) Complete your online Entry using Film Freeway. Only entries submitted using Film Freeway will be accepted. All instructions must be followed carefully to avoid disqualification. You must also complete an Official Entry Form for each of your submissions. Submissions without an official entry form will not be considered. All information entered on the Official Entry Form is the responsibility of the person completing the form. The Iowa Motion Picture Association will not be responsible for incorrect spellings or other mistakes that appear on awards that are the result of incorrectly entered information.
(2) Entries in the categories of Documentary, Education, Live Entertainment Long Form, and Live Entertainment Short Form must be submitted in their entirety. (If you have any questions, email or call Michael Helgens at firstname.lastname@example.org (319)821-0682)
(3) In all other categories, select and submit the ten minutes of your entry which is the best and most representative clip of your skill and talent in each category in which you are entering. Attach a file to your project on Film Freeway include each category that you are entering and the starting time code for that category.
(4) Category Entries. (i.e. – technical professions, music, sound effects, actor, actress, etc.) must be edited to specifically highlight the work being submitted. There should be no doubt about the identity of the actor/actress, or the exact category of your entry. Upload your edited clips to Vimeo or YouTube and include links to the clip with the category you are entering as an attached file on Film Freeway.
(5) Actors and Actresses. Upload an Adobe Reader .PDF file containing your headshot to your Dropbox folder. We need to be able to clearly identify you in the clip you select to send for judging.
(6) All entries can be either (1) HD or (2) SD resolution 720x480 (4:3 content) or 720x405 (16:9 content) and encoded in Quicktime H264 format. For promotional purposes, these files must remain available to the IMPA for thirty (30) days from the the date of the IMPA Awards Gala. The mission statement of the Iowa Motion Picture Association includes promoting, recognizing, and supporting members of the Iowa Production Community.
(7) Please make sure that you have tested your submission before sharing it with the IMPA to ensure it plays and is free from corruption artifacts.
(8) If you have any questions, email or call Michael Helgens at email@example.com (319)821-0682
(9) FOR ALL ENTRIES, include a link to a 15-second clip on Vimeo or YouTube via a link shared in a document attached to your project – clearly identified – to be used in the Show Reel during the Awards Ceremonies to introduce your project on the big screen, should you be nominated by the judges to receive an Award of Achievement or an Award of Excellence. Please select and include a different 15-second clip for each category you have entered -- which highlights the craft, skill, or talent in that category. This helps the Iowa Motion Picture Awards fullfill its mission of honoring outstanding achievement in each of the professional categories in the Awards -- and also holds the audience's attention because they are seeing a new and riveting clip showcasing excellence in that particular category -- instead of watching the same clip again.
(10) The Iowa Motion Picture Association assumes no liability for entries. Entrants are responsible for all applicable rights and permissions. The IMPA reserves the right to refuse entries and/or refund fees at its discretion. It is the responsibility of the filmmaker or submission contact to ensure that all requirements are met. The festival retains the right to disqualify an entry, with no refunded fee, if submission guidelines are not met.
(11) You must be a member of the IMPA to submit your entries using the "Member" options on Film Freeway. Entries submitted by non-members using those categories will be disqualified. You may become a member of the IMPA before submitting your entries by clicking here. Upon completion of your registration and submission of your membership dues you will immediately be eligible for the discounted submission fees.
There are up to two rounds of judging:
Thanks to our partnership with Produce Iowa we are able to offer reduced entry fees AND to extend the "Early Entry Fee" to the final deadline.
|Entrant||Early Entry Fee|
SUPER SUBMISSION DISCOUNT: For every three entries you submit you are eligible for a free fourth entry. Email Michael@thespeedofplot.com with the number of entries you have submitted and your waiver for your free submission. Your entries will be validated before your free waiver is provided.
Non-Members do not need to enter a waiver code, but all other submissions will require the use of a waiver code to ensure that you pay the correct amount for your submission. If you are submitting multiple entries the waiver code will apply to each entry allowing you to make a single payment for all of your entries.
Early Entry Discount Waiver Codes (New: Use these codes all the way to the final deadline!):
Student Non-Members: IMPA40
Student Members: IMPA50
Regular Entry Discount Waiver Codes Members: IMPA44
Student Non-Members: IMPA45
Student Members: IMPA60
Important Note: Using a discount waiver for which you are not eligible may result in disqualification of your submission if we are unable to reach you to rectify your payment before the deadline. If your entry is disqualified a refund may be issued at the discretion of the Iowa Motion Picture Association.
Questions may be directed to Michael Helgens at firstname.lastname@example.org (319)821-0682
An interactive program (in various media formats, including online interactive formats). Submissions must be in the native format in which the program was used – and also in a form that judges can view. Since this is an evolving, important part of the moving image and media industry in all its forms, please submit an inquiry to Michael R. Helgens (email@example.com or 319-821-0682 ) if you have questions about your project as an entry. Programs that simply require the viewer to stop and refer to other materials do not qualify.
Interactive subjects can also include educational, science, health, personal or business finances, legal, or corporate – or entertainment with various characters or endings, challenges with various solutions, environmental, political, creative chat rooms that are innovative and interactive and problem solving. Interactive entries can include creative talk show formats that encourages idea exchange or problem solving. Interactive entries can cross multiple platforms if the entries are submitted in a way that is efficient for the judges to view and judge.