Members of the Board
The Board of the Iowa Motion Picture Association serves our membership through professional development workshops, networking events and advancement opportunities, connecting films and filmmakers with cast and crew, and promoting Iowa’s moving image production industry in all its forms throughout Iowa. We are grateful to Produce Iowa – the State Office of Media Production – for outstanding support – and encourage our members to visit the Iowa Media Production Directory https://ia.reel-scout.com/crew_login.aspx to help keep it accurate and up-to-date.
The Iowa Motion Picture Association Board meets the third Tuesday of each month. Members are welcome to attend. To be placed on the agenda, or to ask a question, feel free to contact any Board member. Meeting location: The Friends of IPTV Building - 6535 Corporate Drive, Johnston, Iowa 50131.
The Executive Team
- President: James Brockhohn
- Dr. Jim Brockhohn has been a professional actor for 21 years. He’s been involved with over 75 films, TV shows and commercials combined. Jim worked with the Coen Brothers in two of their films – A Serious Man where he was the “Red Owl Store Manager” and Inside Llewyn Davis as John Goodman’s photo double. He also works on independent projects as an actor and behind the scenes as an AD or Producer. Jim enjoys helping other people reach their goals as actors. He works with a group of five instructors teaching filmmaking to students. Jim has served on the IMPA Board for 11 years and is the President of the Iowa Motion Picture Association. He was President of the Forest City Chamber of Commerce in 2014 – and is an active Scout Leader, International Lions Club member, and Board member of the Iowa Independent Film Festival. You can follow his acting career at www.agencyprotalent.com/jimb or www.imdb.com
- Vice President: Chuck Hughes
- Chuck Hughes has been a member of the Writers Guild of America since 1991. Four of his screenplays have been made into feature films, with actors including Ned Beatty, Steve Buscemi and David Carradine. Chuck also helped write and produce two short films, including the award-winning A Specialty of the House – and wrote one season of an animated series for Paramount/Hyperion & USA Network.
- Treasurer: Deb O'bryan Walters
- Deb Walters O’Bryan has 38 years experience as an accountant, primarily working with non-profit agencies. She serves as Treasurer for the IMPA. Deb is a published freelance writer and has worked on 8 movies – Sam Steele and the Junior Detective Agency as production accountant – Freedom of Silence as co-writer – and South Dakota, Ticket Out, Ash, Husk, Fertile Ground, and Coffee With Bernie in various wardrobe capacities. “I would like to continue my experience with accounting and governance in nonprofit organizations to enhance the governance of IMPA by researching and presenting best practice examples. I would also like to research additional grant and funding opportunities for IMPA to consider.”
- Secretary: Mike Banks
- Michael Banks has been a broadcast engineer for 30 years with KDSM TV 17 in Des Moines. During that time he also worked 7 years as production floor director on the Iowa Realty Show, with Mike Pace. Mike has been involved in independent productions as an actor or videographer in Fortnight (Jolene Pfaff, Scott Thompson), IOWA (Thor Moreno), and several 48-Hour film competitions. He was an extra in shoots for national films Dead Awake and The Crazies - and is working with "The Multipurpose Project" group, writing and producing videos. Mike is currently acting in 12 Angry Men at the Des Moines Playhouse.
Members of the Board
- Michael R. Helgens
- Michael R. Helgens is an Executive Producer with Media Adventures/Fun & Games Productions in Cedar Rapids, IA. He is an avid writer of scripts, plays, radio dramas and podcasts, short stories and novels, having published and/or produced numerous tales in each category. He regularly writes for The Watson Files and Jump Start, and is completing his first book trilogy The Legend of Lochlinlea. He’s an accomplished artist in film editing, web design, digital painting, burning images into wood, and even knitting when time permits. Michael is the new Webmaster for the Iowa Motion Picture Association. He will be editing PSAs for IMPA and also serves on the IMPA Marketing & Public Relations Committee with Eric Benson.
- Eric Benson
- Eric Benson served twelve years in the U.S. Navy as a Photojournalist and Mass Communications Specialist, operating in 37 countries, primarily in Asia and the Middle East. He worked with news agencies including CNN, Associated Press, Reuters, and MSNBC. Wearing a number of hats has given him an intricate understanding of professional video production, mass media, and electronic media. In 2012 he started Bus-Stop Productions with a collective of electronic media professionals who have worked on feature and short films, commercials, documentaries, videos for web publishing, and various other assignments. Eric graduated from the University of Northern Iowa in Electronic Media Leadership & Production, with a minor in Journalism – and holds a degree in Visual Media from Hawaii Pacific University. Eric will bring his lifetime skills to the production of our historic 25th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Awards in April, 2016.
- Megan Fleming
- Megan Fleming first walked onto a television set while she was living in London in 2003. She later became a casting assistant under the mentorship of Ann Wilkinson. She has since worked as Unit Production Manager, Assistant Director, Production Coordinator, Script Supervisor and others on film and television programs nationwide. Her most notable projects include: True Grit (2010), The Experiment (2009), The Bachelor Seasons 19 & 20, American Idol Seasons 11-13 and Chopped. She currently lives in North English, IA. Megan is the Director & Stage Manager for the Show during the 25th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Gala Awards Ceremony, Saturday, April 16, 2016, at the beautiful Pella Opera House, 611 Franklin, Pella, IA.
- Francesca Soans
Francesca Soans is an independent filmmaker and Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Studies at the University of Northern Iowa. Her films and videos have screened at film festivals in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, and been broadcast on public and cable channels. Her recent documentary Sons of Jacob Synagogue won a Silver Remi at the Worldfest-Houston International Film Festival and the Loren Horton Community History award from the Iowa State Historical Society. She has received several grants from the Iowa Arts Council, the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and Humanities Iowa. She is currently working on a five-part documentary project Waterloo: A History of Place that explores the connections between memory and place in the story of a city.
- Debra Brubaker
- Debra Brubaker is an Executive Producer with Media Adventures/Fun & Games Productions in Cedar Rapids, IA. She directs and films their productions in a style that has been praised for its similarity to the Hungarian Director Bela Tarr, as she captures unconscious emotions through her sapient use of close-ups. She excels at making people feel like close personal friends within minutes of their meeting and, in so doing, draws out the best in actors, performers, and people she interviews. Debra conducted the red carpet interviews of Iowa filmmakers at the 24th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Awards and the IMPA Golden Globes Event January 10, 2016, at the Fleur Cinema & Café in Des Moines and will serve on the Membership Outreach Committee.
- Paul Steffensen
- Paul Steffensen. Dane Art Studios. Paul started in the film industry in 1987 and has worked on numerous films, made-for-TV movies, local & national TV commercials, and music videos. His credits include PBS, Hallmark TV, Discovery Channel, Pepsi, Iowa Lottery & PowerBall, and independent films. Paul was nominated for an Emmy for the Hallmark movie Harvest of Fire. Paul also worked on the 2012 Olympic commercial for Coca Cola with gold medalist Shawn Johnson. He has extensive knowledge in Art Direction, Set Design & Construction, Custom Props, Storyboarding, and Special Effects. His vision for the IMPA includes, “To inspire, by example and education, individuals who are interested in working in the film industry – through interns, crew members, seminars, and mentorship programs.”
- Shirley Long
- Shirley Long was a co-founder of the Iowa Motion Picture Association and worked with Paul Frank to achieve the organization’s 501(C)3 status. She has helped the IMPA organize more than 175 professional development workshops duirng its 25 years. Since 1994, she has worked with with Ron Peterson in New York, a former story editor for Paramount Pictures, to story-edit hundreds of screenplays for producers and directors around the country. Ron and Shirley have conducted numerous weeklong Screenwriters Boot Camps, drawing participants from L.A., New York, San Francisco, North Carolina, Florida, and Texas, followed by months of working with the screenwriters and helping them get their screenplays read and optioned in L.A. Both the University of Iowa and Iowa State University have asked Shirley to be a visiting instructor of screenwriting for a semester. She is also a co-founder of the Iowa Scriptwriters Alliance. After serving many terms as an Iowa Motion Picture Association Board member and officer, she now ‘helps out’ at the IMPA.
- Kevin Brubaker
- Kevin Brubaker is an independent film producer, a practitioner of the art of fiction, and an avid gamer. He is Executive Producer at Media Adventures, LLC. and Fun & Games Productions, DBA – a company he founded with his wife, Debra Brubaker, and their partner, Michael Helgens). Together these three produce Jump Start and many other independent film projects with the help of an amazing team of actors and crew. You can see their work and learn more about them by visiting their website at http://www.thespeedofplot.com. Kevin is an active member of the Iowa Motion Picture Association, contributing both ideas and their practical implementation. He is Chair of the Iowa Motion Picture Association Trade Fair to be held in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in October 2017, showcasing the talents, products, and markets of all members of the Iowa Production Community who buy or sell media production in all its forms. At the 24th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Awards, Kevin presented the workshop Getting a Jump Start on Your Project with Social Media and Crowd Funding - Finding Money In Unexpected Locations - Marketing Your Project in a Digital World.